Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fluoridation of water

Fluoridation Action Network New Zealand has asked candidates about their views on fluoridation of water, and here are their questions and my answers.


Do you support fluoridation?

I do not in general support the principle of mass medication, but there appears to be considerable evidence that fluoridation has improved dental health. I would need to take a detailed look at independent peer-reviewed scientific evidence.

If not, what definite steps would you take, if you are elected, to stop fluoridation in this area?

If I came to the conclusion that continuing fluoridation was undesirable, I would use council procedures to try and stop it.

If you do support fluoridation, do you believe that it is acceptable for councillors to rely on the advice by the Ministry of Health and disregard the opinion of the people who pay for and drink the water?

The Ministry of Health is a major source of scientific and professional advice, and I am not aware of any great groundswell of public opinion in this matter. I don't see this as an "either/or" question since it's not clear to me that there are major differences here - but I'm willing to be educated!

If you are not sure, would you support a referendum or some sort of consultative process?

A consulative process would be a good idea, based on independent scientifically-verified and peer-reviewed evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment